The classic mosaic is an image assembled from small pieces of colored stone, glass, ceramic or other materials (called ʻtesseraʼ in mosaikspeek). Creating a mosaic is an art that has been around for millennia in almost any culture. The ancient Persians loved them, as did the Romans, and the Greeks. Mosaics never have lost their appeal, and in modern times new sub-forms of mosaics have emerged.
cf/x mosaic is a specialized application that helps you creating high-quality mosaics and makes it fun. Pop in a picture, change crop, hit Go. Itʼs that easy. Twiddle with some settings, hit Go again. Itʼs that fun. The greatest advantage of mosaic is that it invites you to experiment. It can create ʻclassicʼ mosaics (images assembled from regular tiles) as easily as it creates modernistic assemblages of rectangles and lines. Even better, it creates great-looking, original, high resolution artwork even from low-resolution source images.
Since cf/x mosaic is highly customizable, finding the perfect settings for any particular image can be a daunting (though usually fun) task. If you need to start from scratch, this task can be even longer. We have provided you with a number of presets that you can take as convenient starting point for your own creations. The presets produce good results for almost all Master Images. Slight adjustments from you can then turn a good result in a great mosaic.
Use ʻsimpleʼ images: High-Contrast, Low Complexity to start with
Not all images are equally well suited as Mosaics. Due to the way mosaics are constructed, high-contrasts, low-complexity (ʻdetailʼ) images work much better (they are much more recognizable and have greater impact) than low-contrast or busy images.
- Creates enormous, high-quality (more than 100×100 inch at 300dpi) original artwork from even small image sources
- Itʼs Fast (capital ʻFʼ. Less than 3 seconds for a 4ʼ900 tile mosaic, 10 seconds for a mosaic with 40ʼ000 tiles, 20 seconds at ʻinsaneʼ quality)
- Supply your own color palette
- Allows transparent tiles & background
- Creates may different kinds of mosaics
- Easy presets for instant good results
- Fully customizable mosaics
- Intuitive interface that invites you to experiment
- Fully integrated crop and aspect ratio management – no need to pre-crop an image
- Supports differently sized tiles
- Choose from multiple tile shapes
- Supports ʻmessyʼ assembly that gives the mosaic a more organic look
- Export to most common image formats
- Integration with iPhoto, Aperture, Preview, Mail
- Direct upload to social web sites
On the screenshots below hover over the hot-spots to disclose tool-tips.